Meet the members of the NEOVETS Board, and learn why they are involved and dedicated to this very worthy cause.
Bryan “Gunny” is a retired Marine with 20 years of active duty service as a Human Resource Manager, and Recruiter. Bryan owns GunnyRet Consulting, LLC. and is personally committed to attracting Veterans to Northeast Ohio by helping Veterans achieve their goals through mentorship, referrals to appropriate supportive services, employment assistance, and contract or direct placement. Gunny McGown has been a successful job search coach to veterans and military spouses in northeast Ohio for more than 4 years, and brings his passion of helping veterans and companies join forces to succeed in business. He has more than 31 years of combined experience in military, state and county government, and non-profit work in various leadership roles. Bryan is a founding board member, and the Chairman of the Board of Directors for NEOVETS, Inc., and conceived the concept of certifying employers wanting to hire Veterans under their “Certified Military Talent Employer (CMTE)™ program, and the idea of providing a similar certification for HR professionals; the “Certified Military Talent Professional (CMTP)™.
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (x 2)
- Good Conduct Medal (x 5)
- National Defense Service Medal
- Armed Forces Service Medal
- Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (x 2)
- Marine Corps Recruiting Ribbon
- NATO Medal
- Meritorious Mast (x 2)
- Certificate of Commendation
- Letters of Appreciation (x 13)
- Army Teamwork Award
- Congressional Certificate of Appreciation
- Rifle Expert
- Pistol Sharpshooter
Memberships and Military Non-profit Affiliations
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, NEOVETS, Inc.
- Life Member | First Vice Commander, AMVETS Post 176, Richfield, Ohio
- Member | Web and Social Media Manager, Wendell L. Willkie, American Legion Post 19, Akron, Ohio
- Board member Cleveland American Veterans Association
- Executive Board | Web and Social Media Manager, Summit County Stand Down
- Member, National Marine Corps Business Network – CLE
- AMVETS Commissioner, Summit County Veterans Service Commission
Rick DeChant, the Executive Director of the Veterans’ Initiative for Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C), brings to Tri-C over 40 years of experience in crisis management, public affairs, military affairs and governmental affairs. In his current capacity Rick is responsible for providing overall leadership, direction and coordination for all Veterans Services initiatives within Cuyahoga Community College. Under his leadership the College was recently awarded the ranking of a “Military Friendly Institution for 2017” in a national survey conducted by GI Jobs Magazine and Ernst & Young. Only 15 percent of colleges and universities across the country earned this recognition. This is the eigth year in a row that Tri-C has earned this honor.
Recently Rick was asked to Chair the White House Commission initiative in Northeast Ohio known as Strong Cities/Strong Communities. This initiative, run by the U. S. Department of Labor, is looking for best practices in developing a seamless transition for veterans looking for employment, and employers looking for veterans to hire. He was the only representative from Northeast Ohio higher education asked to serve on this Commission. Rick currently serves in a similar role on the Board of NEOVETS. He also co-chairs the Ohio Department of Higher Education – Military Strategic Implementation Team which is focused on Ohio colleges awarding college credit and professional licenses for military experience.
Rick joined the Tri-C family following five years of service with Department of Homeland Security as its Assistant Federal Security Director for TSA Operations in Northeast Ohio. During his tenure with TSA he was awarded both the Department Homeland Security Heroism Award and the Cleveland Police Department 2006 Citizen Heroism Award for helping to subdue an armed gunman at Cleveland Hopkins Airport who had shot and wounded a Cleveland Police officer.
He is retired Commander with 21 years of service in the Coast Guard Reserve, including combat tours in the Middle East for Gulf War I, in Haiti in 1994, and again when he served in Iraq and Kuwait for Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003/2004.
Rick is active in numerous veteran organizations including NEOVETS and the Greater Cleveland Fisher House. Rick holds a BA in Communications from John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio. He and his wife of 36 years, Sharon, reside in Fairview Park, Ohio and are the parents of two grown children.
Rick was inducted into the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame in 2017, and we are very proud to have him on our board!
Professional associations include:
- Board Member – Greater Cleveland Fisher House
- Board Member – NEOVETS
- Board Member – Louis Stokes VAMC Education & Research Foundation
- Co-Chair – Ohio Department of Higher Education/Military Strategic Implementation Team
- Voting Rights Institute of Ohio – Veterans Advisory Committee
- Past President, Board of Directors – USO of Northern Ohio
- Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 9693);
- Life Member Reserve Officers Association;
- Life Member, Coast Guard Combat Veterans Association;
- Member, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America;
- Member United States Navy League;
- Member United States Naval Institute;
- The Press Club of Cleveland (still active and past Board Member);
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – Northern Ohio Chapter (1998 – 2001)
- Ohio PTA (awarded honorary life membership in 1997)
- Department of Homeland Security – Secretary’s Award for Heroism (airport police officer shooting incident);
- Cleveland Police Department Citizens Award for Heroism (airport police officer shooting incident);
- Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal (4)
- Coast Guard Achievement Medal (4)
- Coast Guard Commandant’s Letter of Commendation (3)
- Department of Transportation 9-11 Medal (reported the day of the attacks)
- US Global War on Terrorism Medal (Operation Noble Eagle)
- International Global War on Terrorism Medal (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
- National Defense Medal (2)
- Liberation of Kuwait Medal
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Operation Uphold Democracy – Haiti)
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Presidential Citation Medal (USCG Hurricane Katrina Operations)
- Coast Special Operations Ribbon (Exxon Valdez spill)
- USCG Reserve Officer of the Year/Great Lakes Region (1995)
Coast Guard Alex Haley Award Recipient – 1990 (outstanding service in USCG Public Affairs)
Your HR Business Partner
NEOVETS Founding Board Member
Donna Rae Smith has forged a career and an enterprise by applying the practice of teaching leaders to master change. A barrier-shattering change-leader herself, Ms. Smith has pioneered a highly sought after approach for preparing leaders, teams and entire organizations to thrive in an ever-evolving business world. For Ms. Smith, it is never enough to react to change; today’s leaders must embody the habits necessary to embrace and lead change.
Ms. Smith is the Founder and CEO of Bright Side, Inc., a globally recognized, groundbreaking behavioral strategy consulting company. Led by a celebrated team of behavior and culture change experts, Bright Side customizes personal, team and organizational leader development workshops, coaching and transformational processes designed to rapidly accelerate the execution of change. All of Bright Side’s portable tools are grounded in a disciplined methodology for continuous personal learning: including new ways of acting, responding and behaving in the face of change. These are, according to Ms. Smith, “…the foundational tools for surviving and thriving in a new era.”
Bright Side’s track record of measurable results has been nothing shy of extraordinary. Today, this highly specialized, woman-owned company is playing a pivotal role in the strategic development of some of the most influential corporations in the world. Among organizations of all sizes, the roster includes Procter and Gamble, Gillette, Rockwell Automation, BASF, Coty, Inc., The Dow Chemical Company, Jamba Juice, Pringles, IBM and many other dynamic businesses. Bright Side has prepared these companies and many others to solve unprecedented tasks and challenges relative to a new way of doing business. Bright Side’s clients are better prepared for changes as they are more nimble and agile in the economic landscape as well as more dimensionally competitive as an outcome of its approach.
Stephen Covey, acclaimed author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, coined Donna Rae Smith “a truly ‘I’ve been there’ woman.” Her experiences range from serving as a manufacturing executive to pioneering new ground as a broadcast journalist. She is at once an entrepreneur’s entrepreneur, a riveting speaker and a provocative writer. As the esteemed author of Building Your Bright Side and The Power of Building Your Bright Side, Ms. Smith shares with us the rejuvenating behavioral concepts that have transformed some of the world’s most powerful and forward-thinking business leaders of our time.
Ms. Smith is a graduate of the University of Michigan and has guest lectured at the University of Richmond, Jepson Leadership School; Duke University; Miami University; Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management; West Point Academy; Baldwin-Wallace University; and Ursuline College. She currently serves on the boards of the Mid-Michigan Innovation Center, Verb Ballets and the American Red Cross of Greater Cleveland. She has served on the boards of NorTech, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and the Council of Pastoral Leadership. Also, she is a member of In Counsel with Women (ICWW), The Network of Executive Women, the American Heart Association Go Red for Women and the Tiffany Circle of The American Red Cross. In 2013, Ms. Smith chaired the Circle of Red/Go Red for Women Campaign and co-hosted a PBS special, “Taking Control of your Heart”. She currently participates in the design and architecture of the American Red Cross “Returning Veterans” strategy and writes a column and blogs for Smart Business regionally and nationally on Bright Side’s core focus of behavioral strategies.
Ms. Smith’s world-renowned methods are a result from her deep personal commitment to challenge the best and brightest not to fear change, but to step up to it and own it like nobody’s business.